Empty Home Tax - Vancouver - What now?

The Empty Home Tax Applied. What now? 

If a property is subject to the EHT and the owner wishes to avoid the tax, the owner may:

    • Become a landlord by renting the property for a minimum of six months of the year, in periods of at least 30 consecutive days (i.e. a month to month or fixed tenancy agreement);
    • Enlist a property management firm to rent the property for the required duration, or consider a lease with a company (e.g. a business who has employees who work periodically on Vancouver, or a film company) who can sublease or license to individuals who will occupy the home for at least 6 months of the year for periods over 30 days;
    • Invite a family member or friend to occupy the property as their principal residence for at least 6 months of the year. If the owner has a family member or friend occupy the unit, they do not have to pay rent but a rental agreement should be entered into confirming the terms of the tenancy and the occupier must occupy the property as their principal residence for at last 6 months of the year;
    • Keep the property as-is and pay the EHT; or
    • Sell the property.
No comments

Post Your Comment:

NOTE: MLS® property information is provided under copyright© by the Victoria Real Estate Board. The information is from sources deemed reliable, but should not be relied upon without independent verification. This website may only be used by consumers for the purpose of locating and purchasing real estate.